A mother-of-six has spoken out about feeling ‘ashamed’ of when her baby son almost choked to death on his own dummy.
Adelaide woman Krechelle Carter is a popular blogger known for her large family and the candid stories she pens online – and she admits one incident which occurred when her six-year-old son was still a newborn has stuck in her mind.
The 27-year-old describes her then nine-month-old son Sylus’ cries as ‘muffled and screaming’ when she ran to his cot and discovered a dummy had become lodged in the back of his throat.
Adelaide woman Krechelle Carter (pictured) is a popular blogger known for her large family and the candid stories she pens online
She admits one incident which occurred when her six-year-old son was still a baby has stuck in her mind
Terrified the nine-month-old was on the brink of death, Krechelle says she pulled the pacifier out of his mouth after two frantic minutes which seemed like an eternity.
‘It was the longest two minutes of my life, it was stuck so tight I thought I was never going to get it out, I felt so sick. Every possibility was flashing through my brain and then finally I managed to pull the dummy out,’ she wrote on Kidspot.
‘His mouth was cut and bruised around where the dummy had got stuck. I cradled him, silent tears streaming down my face and calmed him down. Five minutes later he was happy as Larry and wanted his bottle.’
Krechelle says her waves of relief quickly turned to feelings of shame and guilt and admits she blamed herself for ‘letting’ the choking incident occur.
Terrified her baby (Pictured now at age 6) was on the brink of death, Krechelle says she pulled the pacifier out of his mouth after two frantic minutes which seemed like an eternity
Krechelle (pictured with her six children) says her waves of relief quickly turned to feelings of shame and guilt and admits she blamed herself for ‘letting’ the choking incident occur
The 27-year-old mum (pictured) says she blamed herself and was in a flood of tears during the choking incident
WHAT TO DO IF A BABY IS CHOKING
Dislodge the blockage: Hold your baby so that he is lying face-down along your forearm, supported by your thigh. Use the heel of your hand to give up to five blows between your baby’s shoulder blades. If you can see an obstruction, try to remove it. But don’t feel blindly in his mouth with your finger. This could push an obstruction further into his throat.
Give five chest thrusts: If your baby is still unable to breathe, turn him on to his back and give up to five chest thrusts. Use two fingertips to push inwards and upwards. Try to dislodge the object with each thrust. Check your baby’s mouth after each thrust to remove the obstruction.
Dial 000 for an ambulance if the blockage is not clearing.
Despite her son now a healthy six-year-old, the mummy blogger reveals she only recently was able to share the story without feeling overwhelmed by shame or afraid others would point the finger.
‘I was scared I would be blamed. That I shouldn’t have left him alone with a dummy at all. That I should have got his bottle quicker. But I hope me sharing this story is a reminder to all mamas that dummies are different sizes for a reason and if you ever feel a dummy would be small enough to be a choking hazard- don’t let your child have it,’ Krechelle added.
‘As for me, Sylus is now a happy six-year-old But I’ll always remember that morning – what he was wearing, how he smelt as I cradled him, the colour of his face. And that darn blue dummy.’
Krechelle says her next five children were weaned off dummies after 12 months – mostly out of fear that a similar tragic accident might happen.
And she has shared this story as a warning to other new mothers who may find themselves in the same, terrifying situation.
Despite her son now a healthy six-year-old the mummy blogger reveals she only recently was able to share the story without feeling overwhelmed by shame or afraid others would point the finger
Krechelle (pictured) says her next five children were weaned off dummies after 12 months – mostly out of fear that a similar tragic accident might happen
A dummy has the potential to injure a child through choking, strangulation or cuts and abrasions, according to the ACCC.
Parents are warned to check dummy before every use and throw it away if it is worn or damaged and to never tie one around a child’s neck.
Babies’ dummies are covered by an Australian safety standard to ensure they have safety features which address well-known choking and strangulation hazards and reduce the risk of injury and death.
Since the introduction of the safety standard in 2006, there have been fewer injuries and no deaths.