Paul Hollywood reacts to Prue Leith Bake Off Twitter gaffe


With just one click, Bake Off judge Prue Leith managed to spoil the final of the biggest TV competition in the UK.

And now for the first time since the catastrophic Twitter gaffe, fellow judge Paul Hollywood has revealed how he reacted after Prue accidentally congratulated Sophie on her win hours before the final aired.

The 51-year-old told Jo Brand on Bake Off’s spin-off show, An Extra Slice, on Channel 4, that he was ‘horrified’ by the mishap – but explained how it was a genuine mistake.

Paul Hollywood  said he was horrified by fellow judge Prue's gaffe on An Extra Slice

Paul Hollywood said he was horrified by fellow judge Prue’s gaffe on An Extra Slice

There was furore on Tuesday morning after Prue, 77, tweeted congratulations to former Army officer Sophie Faldo nearly 12 hours before the final was due to air. 

Paul didn’t react on Twitter at the time, but told Jo on Thursday night: ‘What can I say? I was horrified. 

‘But at the same time, she made a mistake.’

Jo couldn’t resist poking fun at Prue for the gaffe, explaining how the judge couldn’t be on the show that evening because she was ‘too busy deleting her Twitter account’.

Prue quickly deleted her tweet congratulating Sophie as the winner of the Great British Bake Off but the damage was done and the result was spoiled for many fans. A mortified Prue took to Twitter again to apologise later that morning

Prue quickly deleted her tweet congratulating Sophie as the winner of the Great British Bake Off but the damage was done and the result was spoiled for many fans. A mortified Prue took to Twitter again to apologise later that morning

Prue quickly deleted her tweet congratulating Sophie as the winner of the Great British Bake Off but the damage was done and the result was spoiled for many fans. A mortified Prue took to Twitter again to apologise later that morning

Prue Leith will return as a judge on Bake Off for another year despite her error

Prue Leith will return as a judge on Bake Off for another year despite her error

Prue Leith will return as a judge on Bake Off for another year despite her error

Prue tweeted the message ‘No one told me judging a #gbbo final would be so emotional. I wanted them all to win. Bravo Sophie (sic)’.

She quickly realised her mistake and deleted the tweet but it was too late, as it had been screenshotted and circulated on social media.

A mortified Prue blamed her erroneous tweet on the time difference because she was in Bhutan, and later took to Twitter to apologise to ‘Bake Off’ fans, admitting she was ‘mortified’ by the gaffe. 

She tweeted: ‘I am so sorry to the fans of the show for my mistake this morning, I am in a different time zone and mortified by my error #GBBO. (sic)’ 

Despite the blunder, Prue has revealed she, fellow judge Paul and co-hosts Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig will return for another series.

Alongside a link leading to contestant application forms for the next series, Prue said this morning: ‘It’s the #GBBO final! Who will win? Thrilled to say Paul, Noel Sandi & I will all be back! Do you want to join us?’



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: